Current:Home > FinanceMore Bukele critics join effort seeking to nullify El Salvador leader’s candidacy for re-election -Capitatum
More Bukele critics join effort seeking to nullify El Salvador leader’s candidacy for re-election
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 05:10:51
SAN SALVADOR (AP) — As President Nayib Bukele seeks re-election, a growing number of voices are urging electoral authorities to reverse their acceptance of the popular leader’s candidacy, arguing it is a clear violation of El Salvador’s constitution.
Bukele has gained the unwavering support of many in this Central American nation of 6.5 million people after his fierce crackdown on the Mara Salvatrucha and Barrio 18 gangs halted what had been near constant terror in their day-to-day lives.
But many experts and international watchdog groups say that security has come at the expense of human rights and say Bukele’s heavy-handed moves have slowly eaten away at the nation’s already delicate democracy.
They are calling for the Supreme Electoral Tribunal to annul Bukele’s candidacy in the February election, though the body already accepted him and have given no indication they might change course.
Two lawyers, a citizen and another political party on Tuesday were the latest to ask for Bukele’s candidacy to be annulled, joining similar petitions already filed by parties like the conservative Republican National Alliance.
The appeals to the Supreme Electoral Tribunal argue that re-election is prohibited by the country’s constitution.
“It’s illegal, it’s unconstitutional,” said Salvador Enrique Anaya, among the lawyers to question Bukele’s candidacy. “At least seven constitutional provisions prohibit the immediate re-election of a president.”
Despite clear term limits, a set of Supreme Court judges put in place by Bukele’s supporters in congress said in 2021 that it would be legal for the leader to seek re-election and ordered the electoral tribunal to allow it.
For Bukele’s many supporters it was welcome news, and “Bukele 2024” T-shirts and hats began popping up in markets in the country’s capital, San Salvador.
The president’s critics say it was just the latest in a series of moves to consolidate his power and underlined the lack of effective checks and balances.
Since taking office in 2019, Bukele has suspended constitutional rights indefinitely to fight gangs, imprisoning tens of thousands in a “mega-prison.” His government has gone after political opponents, activists, critics and journalists and heavily controlled messaging has been bolstered by an army of social media accounts reproducing government propaganda.
While Bukele’s critics are sounding alarms, the Biden administration has said little on the upcoming election.
“There has to be a broad debate about the legality and legitimacy of the election, but it is a debate for Salvadorans,” Brian Nichols, assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere affairs, said ahead of a meeting with Bukele last month.
Last week, in a 4-0 vote, with one abstention, the Supreme Electoral Tribunal approved Bukele’s bid for the presidency, saying he and his vice presidential running mate, Félix Ulloa, met “the legal requirements” to run.
Bukele celebrated the decision on X, formerly Twitter, writing: “Legally registered! And without any votes against.”
On Monday, the four judges of the tribunal who voted to approve Bukele’s candidacy reiterated that they will obey the 2021 Supreme Court resolution.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Reveals How She and Ex-Fiancé Ken Urker Ended Up Back Together
- What helps with nausea? Medical experts offer tips for feeling better
- Forget Starbucks: Buy this unstoppable growth stock instead
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Hammerhead flatworm spotted in Ontario after giant toxic worm invades Quebec, U.S. states
- Number of Americans applying for jobless claims remains historically low
- 'A Man in Full' review: Tom Wolfe Netflix series is barely a glass half empty
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- TikToker Nara Smith’s New Cooking Video Is Her Most Controversial Yet
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Dan Schneider Sues Quiet on Set Producers for Allegedly Portraying Him as Child Sexual Abuser
- Kristi Yamaguchi: Dorothy Hamill doll inspired me. I hope my Barbie helps others dream big.
- Alaska Senate passes budget differing from House version with roughly $1,580 payments to residents
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Happy birthday, Princess Charlotte! See the darling photos of the growing royal
- An abortion rights initiative in South Dakota receives enough signatures to make the ballot
- Orphaned bear cub seen in viral video being pulled from tree thriving after rescue, wildlife refuge says
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Murder suspect accused of eating part of victim's face after homicide near Las Vegas Strip
Colleen Hoover's Verity Book Becoming a Movie After It Ends With Us
A fiery crash involving tanker carrying gas closes I-95 in Connecticut in both directions
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Columbia University student journalists had an up-close view for days of drama
Violence breaks out at some pro-Palestinian campus protests
DEI destroyer? Trump vows to crush 'anti-white' racism if he wins 2024 election